Wednesday, April 26, 2006

Bad Movies I Love!

Lance Henriksen

There are some bad movies that I will stumble across on the satellite and get caught up in, and finish the whole thing.  Showgirls is an obvious example of a film so bad you must watch.  Not only was it directed by the same guy who did "RoboCop", but Gina Gershon is in it.  Road House with Patrick Swayze is another stinker that never fails to enetertain.  Mr. Swayze stars along with Keanu Reeves in Point Break, a spiral turd of awfulness that captures my attention throughout.  Only Keanu reeves can convince you his character is stupid enough to jump out of a plane without a 'cute.  Stone Cold is another carp-fest biker film that is saved by Lance Henriksen, who gives another good performance in a bad movie.  This film also features a motorcycle hitting a helicopter and then crashing into a car.  No... I'm serious. 

 Lance Henriksen has been in a lot of movies.  Quite a lot.   Many are bad.  He is usually good despite the work around him and he is mostly cast as a cop or the heavy. He has a number of memeorable charcaters in some mediocre movies: The Quick and the Dead, Hard target, Stone Cold, Near Dark, Johnny Handsome and Aliens.  His intensely lined face makes for some downright terrifying moments in Johnny Handsome.  He is a character actor who ends up in a tons of B-Movies, but unlike some actors, he works a lot.  He has over 100 roles to his credit and where he is often is a rose among thorns.

The reason this topic comes up is I have rented Turbulence 3: Heavy Metal.  I haven't seen a bad rock movie since Rockstar.  A raging shitstorm of a picture that is redeemed by the main character morphing into Eddie Vedder at the end to create "real music".  I laughed so hard I think I broke a rib.  It might even make the top 5 list above.  I will see if it seasons with age. 

The film tonight offers the folowing description: "Slade Craven, rock superstar and reigning king of Death Metal, has planned a concert unlike anything the world has ever seen.  He'll be performing for a cargo load of lucky fans onboard a 747 jumbo jet as it flies from LA to Toronto.  The entire spectacle with be broadcast on the Internet via web music network ZTV.  But, murder and mayhem take over as one sadistic fan hijacks the plane and kills anyone who gets in the way of his ultimate satanic plan!  Starring Rutger Hauer".

 Full review to follow.  And no, I haven't seen Turbulence 1 or 2 so I hope I'm not lost on the intricacies of plot developements that have occured previously.

No comments:

Post a Comment