Thursday, December 29, 2005

All my Tex Avery






All my Tex Avery cartoons are one laserdisc box set that claims to have everytghing he ever directed for MGM. Unfortunately, you can't duplicate a laserdisc and they do "rot" with age. I also don't know how long my laserdisc player will last. It's a big, high-end one that cost $4K in the day. Now, a $100 DVD player will outperform it many times over. But, no Tex Avery on DVD yet. And maybe not ever. The French have a fancy DVD box set, b ut that won't play in our equipment over here. So, in coverting these cartoons to DVD, I have realised a few truisms. 1. I learned my fake german from old MGM and Warner Bros. cartoons. 2. Most people can describe their favorite cartoons, but not tell you the name of it. 3. The Tasmanian Devil character was the stupidest of all of the lineup. So, people who have tattoos and stickers of him are promoting out of control stupidity. Bugs was smart, and outsmarted Tas. Why people identify with him is beyond me. (Tex didn't do these by the way.) 4. Droopy used to walk on all fours. 5. I know how to give someone a "hotfoot". I've never actually this done in real life, but with the aid of old cartoons... I'm a pro. 6. When it is time for babies to be born the husband should stay outside in the lobby smoking multiple cigarattes at once until the baby arrives. 7. Cartoons are subversive. And the best ones are even more so. 8. Explosions near your face can turn you into an african. 9. Grownups stop watching cartoons and reading comics. 10. I don't want to grow up. Please sing along to "I Don't Want To Grow Up", by Tom Waits as peformed by The Ramones for the duration of your time on this blog. If you don't know the Ramones version, the Waits version will do.


No comments:

Post a Comment