Saturday, December 17, 2005

Just starting up!

Here is my first post. It finds a rainy god-forsaken day here in "sunny" Florida. I am working on trying to re-create a pulp-style cover painting without knowing how to paint. This should be interesting! We are starting a new style for the Is This Tomorrow? web site. Color. Whenever it seems needed, it will be there. I love B&W and don't do well in color, but I guess it is time to learn. In genre news... Things that inspire the work we do at ITT will be filed under Genre News. I saw Batman VS. Dracula recently. The animation style is a bit ugly on the Joker and a fight scene between Bats and Drac came across as comedy unintentionally. Otherwise, it’s not a bad way to kill a few hours on a cartoon. It is PG-ish and fairly kid-friendly for you parents out there. Howl's Moving Castle is a step back from the quality of storytelling in Spirited Away, but Miyazaki fans will enjoy it. It has odd characters and some nice animation, especially on the castle itself. The dub is actually quite good with Billy Crystal as a fire spirit and Christian Bale as Howl. Mindgame could quite possibly the future of anime. Please seek it out. It might not ever make it to the US as it is so very odd. I bought the Japanese DVD just to see it for myself. Dead Leaves is available domestically and worth a look as well. It is insane! The Picto-Fiction reprint set from Russ Cochran is waaaay late and I'm jonesing for this one. EC comics rule, but they only made so many. This is almost the final puzzle piece. I've been watching a lot of chambara lately (samurai cinema) and I'd like to report that the Zatoichi TV show episodes are every bit as good as the movies. I also uncovered Zatoichi 14 (Zatoichi's Pilgrimage) which is the missing Zatoichi film. It was bought by Miramax because Quentin Tarantino wanted to remake it. Now that Beat Takeshi has already made a Zatoichi remake (not bad really) he scrapped the idea. But, the film sits unrealeased. So now you know why Netflix doesn't have the whole series.

No comments:

Post a Comment