Wednesday, January 11, 2006

Like a Banshee!






 If I am to be adding the goth babe of the day, I must drop in a picture of Susan Dallion, Siouxsie Sioux herslef. From her early years in the birthtime of punk to her recent work with The Creatures, Siouxsie is the Mother of goth. If there was a gothic chess set, Robert Smith would be King and Siouxsie the queen. The Banshees alaways had lyrics about death and dark fetish facts, and her look pioneered the appearance of girls who like Sylvia Plath. I love miss Sioux. She married a great drummer-- Budgie-- with whom she makes records as the creatures. They get rid of guitar players like Kleenex and she doesn't seem to give a damn about commercial succes. The Creatures records seem to be made with no concern for radio play or mass consumption. They just make primal, thundering music with mostly just Siouxsie's voice and Budgie's drums. The Creatures albums don't sound similar from one to another, except that they are all very unique and very good. I just ordered a european DVD of their 2005 show performing with an orchestra both Banshees and Creatures material. It is the PAL format, so I will have to use a DVD player that converts it to NTSC (more and more common now), but I am very excited about this DVD as it is always enjoyable to see Budgie perform. I have seen them live three times and all the shows were excellent. Right about the time I started getting into Siouxsie, I saw them at the first Lalapalooza. I was introduced to The Creatures by an Ex who played their second album for me and I just locked into the drums. The drums!!!! After that, I became a big Banshees fan and I like all of their records since Budgie joined. Even the Rapture has its moments though it is rather poor overall. Their performance as Lalapalooza was by far the best of the night and it was accompanied by a beautiful sunset during their performance. Let's hear it for Siouxsie Sioux. A true punk pioneer, a fabulous babe, and a woman still making important, vital music while most of her contemporaries are middle-aged has beens. I'd start with Tinderbox or Kiss in the DReamhouse if you'd like to try a Siouxsie and the Banshees album. Anima Animus would be a nice introduction to The Creatures.


No comments:

Post a Comment