Monday, January 9, 2006

Mare's Leg?

A mare's leg is a cut down lever action rifle. The stock is shortened and the barrel is cut down to make the gun just a tad longer than the pistols of the old west. The name came from a Steve McQuen TV show, Wanted: Dead or Alive. He said it was like a Hog's Leg, only not as wild. Nothing says western like a lever action rifle and the mare's leg is a unique variation on the traditional rifle. I assume that if these did exist, they were custom made. You can get one made today for around $3000 if you are so inclined. It seems to be be an impractical weapon, but it certainly looks cool in Once Upon a Time in the West. I also noticed the Zoe carries one in the film Serenity. I've been interested in the wepons used in movies for as long as I can remember, and I find the mare's leg quite intersting as they are hard to come by and illegal to make one yourself. If you bought a lever action rifle and cut it down to make one of these, the ATF would be none to happy if they found out about it. So, i guess I won't have one laying next to my Zatoichi cane sword any time soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment